- Establish a broad based interdisciplinary research program which integrates fundamental science, nanotechnology, and engineering to design the next generation of advanced energy systems. This involves exploring renewable energy sources, enhancing the performance of traditional fuels through molecular engineering, and employing cutting edge solid state and polymeric polyelectrolyte fuel cell technology.
- Build a state-of-the-art laboratory to model power generation that can test new technologies, such as biomass, hydrogen fuels, fuel cells, carbon sequestration, and power cogeneration. This facility will be able to quantitatively evaluate the economic factors of zero emissions power generation and will enable the Center to be a national leader in establishing universal standards for safety and environmental impact for the energy industry.
- Engineer full scale demonstration and testing facilities to accurately simulate the power generation grid and which will optimize the distribution network, provide alternatives in case of local failures, and provide early warning of sabotage, leaks, or terrorist infringements.
- Design a program of public outreach to the community in order to explain energy policy and emerging technologies. This includes:
- Sponsorship of national and international conferences for leaders in energy research
- Organizing workshops to inform the public of energy policies
- Outreach to schools through special programs designed for K-12 teachers and their students.